Goodwill - https://www.goodwillwa.org/
- Kelly Blucher, Manager of Community Engagement and Outreach - KellyB@goodwillwa.org
- Quick overview of something that needs a lot more time
- Integrating different services into our workforce development
- Career Readiness Course
- 40 hour workshop – 3 hours a day for 3 weeks. We incorporate basic math and computer skills in those 40 hours. Learn powerpoint, basic word, email.
- Work fundamentals
- Creating a resume
- People that haven’t been employed for a long time-lots of older workers or parents – it is 40 hours in and out, but it is a success – they get a career readiness certificate – many employers are learning about what that career readiness certificate. We ask if it will help them get into an interview? Employers say yes.
- Class is open to everyone and completely free
- Financial Coaching (this seem so good for everyone. –ed)
- Center for Strong Families (bridges to career opportunities)
- Every job training program, do one-on-one financial reporting.
- Pull their credit report
- Goal setting
- Building a budget
- Employment counseling
- started a home ownership class – I want to get a home and need a plan.
- Husband does this class – gets in depth on credit counseling
- Tacoma Public Utilities provides support
- 10 hour course – if you are a TPU and qualify for income based payment (< 125% of poverty or over 62) get $80 off a bill
- 90 minutes financial coaching – another $80 off your bill.
- Job training
- Culinary (we need more culinary genius in Tacoma – this program is a good thing. -ed)
- Advance manufacturing and warehouse
- Partnered with AJAX- aerospace
- 12 week course – blueprints, shop math, forklift, etc.
- We’ll create the pipeline into Boeing or Skookum or PCC airframe.
- Environmental training – all for free
- 253 works job club – need everyone working on this
- 32% hire rate – lets increase that to 50%, our goal (I think I can, I think I can. –ed)
- Marybeth – have folks that can’t afford applications fees – do any of your programs support that. Kelly – no
- Question – are all program at goodwill open to just County people? Are they open to anyone? Kelly – open to anyone. Also have work locations in Longview and Yakima.