MDC Upward Bound Summer Program - https://mdc-hope.org/education/mdc-trio-college-bound
- Will Harrison, Metropolitan Development Council, Academic Event Planner, email@example.com
- Presentation Materials
- Two weeks in to this work. Work for the Upward Bound Youth Program
- Helps financially challenged students get prepared for college
- 6-week program planned for these students over the summer
- We have staff on site at Foss, Stadium, Spanaway Lake, Mount Tahoma and Lincoln
- Entering grade 9th-12th
- Want to learn about college
- At least a 2.0 grade point average
- Under a certain income
- Potential First generation in their family to attend college
- Attend Foss, Stadium, Spanaway Lake, Mount Tahoma or Lincoln High Schools
- Trying to get 185 students by June 24th.
- We need help connecting to these students.
- This program was recently funded so are working hard to get it up and running
- Also need teachers for the summer. Must be certified teachers or substitutes. It is a $40 per hour position for teachers – for a 6 week program. They create their own curriculum. We work to put together a program that the students want to do.
- Include Friday field trips – part of the STEM (Science, Technology Engineering and Math) program
- Program has breakfast and lunch daily, and a trip to San Francisco at the end of the program.
- Classes are Monday-Thursday - starts at 8:30am at the University of Washington Tacoma, and last until 3:00pm.
- Fridays are field trip days
- Some transportation is included
- The program is free
- Question – if the low GPA is because someone doesn’t apply themselves. Will – we have some flexibility so this is the right program for these students
- Carrie –what is the income eligibility limit? Will – I can get that to you.
- Al – have you connected to programs like Palmer Scholars and similar program? Will – I’ll get those program names from you and connect with them.