Tacoma Community College (TCC)
- Hailey Lunsford - email@example.com
- Started as a student, completing the Fresh Start High School diploma program for students over 21. Now working on campus. Graduated in June with a Human Services Degree, heading to Evergreen next year.
- Powerpoint Presentation available at https://app.box.com/s/ul8h96gtpxscsvk85513dnq8adhrqz3t
- Outreach team at Tacoma Community College is small – 4 folks
- TCC academic offerings
- “direct transfer” – AA degree transfers to all credits earned to many Universities.
- Now has a Bachelors in Science.
- Bachelors in Applied Science and Community Health coming soon
- Application Process – it is free
- Step 1 – Apply - – just apply once, too. No prerequisites – online application. 4 step process
- Step 2 – Use the Mytcc portal to stay connected
- Step 3 – Find ways to pay – Financial Aid deadlines typically 3-4 months prior to the quarter you want assistance with
- Loans are challenging
- Work Study a great option – work is close to school and designed to be flexible to accommodate school schedules
- Grants – great to get assistance you don’t have to pay back.
- TCC foundation has opportunities
- Lots of outside agencies have grants, and many go unused.
- Step 4 – Assess your skills
- Accuplacer test and workshops to find where you need to start at TCC and what support you need – they don’t keep folks from enrolling. Other test can take the place of the accuplacer
- Student Support Services – there to help students
- Partnership with Pierce Transit provides a bus pass for $5 per quarter
- Can provide accommodations – not takers or sign language interpreting for folks with disabilities. Even alternate test taking for folks with test anxieties
- Advisors are assets anytime
- Tutoring centers – writing, Math and Business – good to connect with early, before you need them (but how do you know you’ll need it before you need it…-ed)
- Veteran services
- Housing Program – 150 spots (up significantly from prior years). Partnership with Tacoma Housing Authority
- Submit application in building 7 – April 20-23 and 24th – 9-3
- 2-3 week evaluation
- Phone 253-566-5325 or e-mail Mary Beth McCarthy - firstname.lastname@example.org who is now running the program
- Theresa – we have great interns from TCC – you should get some too.